Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving from SeaClearly!

We have a lot to be thankful for this year. Family, friends, adventures, health. We hope that everyone has a great day and that your own list of things to be thankful for overwhelms any negatives.

Which, in our case, is the weather. We were so hoping to be moving on but a passing weather front has stalled our progress. We thought we had a window to move south to Georgetown leaving on Wednesday. But, our weather guru advice said to move on Thursday. Then the tides in the cuts come into play and we were soon down to a 6 hour weather window to make a 6 hour trip.With a windy, squally front right on our heels.

We tried several different approaches to make our plan work but it just seemed uncomfortable. Junie even entertained jumping out ahead of the weather front and heading directly to the Turks and Caicos. I was not convinced we could stay ahead of the wind. Our rule regarding trip planning is that one 'No' vote wins. Unfortunately, the weather may stay crappy for two weeks now and we are stuck here. Junie was probably right but all I can do now is grovel.

We had already determined that we we going to pick up the anchor and move somewhere even though we couldn't go far now that we missed our opportunity. We targeted Bitter Guana Cay, just a few miles north, as a protected anchorage to hang out for a change of scenery. We thought we were going to wake up to a calm Thanksgiving morning that would, eventually, turn snotty. So, we pulled up the anchor, blew off our friends Aggie and Carlton for a scheduled lunch at Lorraine's (sorry guys - next time we see you we will tell you the story) and headed out. Right into the line of squalls that accompanied the approaching front.

Even though we were only going a few miles, we had some of the worst weather we have seen in a while. Winds of 35 knots, current of 3 knots passing the cut, torrential rain. Junie dropped the anchor in 10 - 12 feet of water just off of the beach while I held SeaClearly steady into the gusty winds. We rolled out about 100 feet of chain, let the anchor grab and waited for a letup in the rain to finish the process. Thirty minutes later, there still was no break so I went out in the rain, dropped another 75 feet of chain and got the snubber on (a line that takes the load of the anchor chain and distributes it to the cleats instead of the windlass).

We settled in and started preparing our Thanksgiving dinner - turkey tenderloin, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce. We had provisioned especially for this meal way back in August. It was wonderful but, of course, we are far from home, family and friends. And, although the weather is grey and windy, we won't be watching any football today.

We will keep you posted on our next moves. We hope the weather gives us a break. In the mean time, the beach here is supposed to have some iguanas so that could be cool - if we can get off of the boat. Happy Thanksgiving to all from SeaClearly, Junie, and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment